PETRONAS
n

Media Releases - 2014

9/11/2014

PETRONAS – YAYASAN SABAH’S JOINT VENTURE POWER PLANT BEGINS FULL OPERATIONS

 

Kota Kinabalu, 9 November: The PETRONAS Group achieved another milestone for its integrated oil and gas development in Sabah as its Kimanis Power Plant (KPP), managed by Kimanis Power Sdn Bhd (KPSB), becomes fully operational.

 

KPSB which is in turn a subsidiary of PETRONAS Gas Berhad (PGB) achieved the breakthrough with the commencement of the commercial operations for KPP’s third generating block on 7 November 2014, following a reliability and capacity testing period.

 

The third generating block is expected to add an additional 95 MW of electricity to the Sabah grid, in addition to the 190 MW already generated by the first and second blocks, which started operating in May and July of 2014 respectively. The third block is also the final block to be commissioned in KPP.

 

Chairman of KPSB, En Yusa’ Bin Hassan said that the success of this effort was due to the focus and determination exhibited by the project team members, as well as the strong cooperation with the key partners and stakeholders involved in the project.

 

“The support from the Federal and Sabah State Governments, our partner Yayasan Sabah and our main customer Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd, has allowed us to complete this project and deliver the additional electricity supply that is crucial in propelling Sabah’s future growth as a developed state.

 

“Despite some challenges along the way, we are happy to deliver this important milestone safely and efficiently.

 

“We thank all of our key partners and stakeholders for their valuable assistance and encouragement through all stages of the project,” En Yusa’ said.

 

The KPP, one of several petroleum and energy related projects developed by the PETRONAS Group in Sabah, is anticipated to contribute significantly to the reliability and security of power supply in the state.

 

The three-blocks, gas-fired power plant is a key project in the ‘Power Up Sabah’ initiative, established under the Malaysian Economic Transformation Plan (ETP). The plant utilises natural gas from offshore Sabah.

 

Besides strengthening the Sabah electricity grid, the successful start of the commercial operations is a significant milestone in providing a reliable source of energy towards supporting the state’s economic growth.

 

PETRONAS through PGB owns 60 per cent of KPSB while NRG Consortium (Sabah) Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Yayasan Sabah owns the remaining 40 per cent.

 

Issued by

 

Media Relations

Group Strategic Communications

PETRONAS